Saturday, October 07, 2006

ALWAYS ASK FOR A RECEIPT
Narration of this incident I experienced is for those wise people who learn from mistakes of others and for whom I care. I do not want them to undergo a similar agony ever.

It was during Bonn’s (my cousin sister’s) marriage that most of us in whom I top the list arrived ahead of their schedule. No sweat a li’l bit of running around n a few calls we got five additional rooms n problem was sorted out. This exercise gave us an experience with a fellow being, as to how negative a person can be for no reasons. We met “Shorma” with typical Assamese accent (please do not make a mistake to generalize average Assamese to be like this). May be it was a classic case of “Hate at First Sight” if I may call it parallel to “Love at First Sight” when, the chemistry does not work. We can only feel pity for them that, they too have to survive in this world against odds — I am being optimistic that “most fellow humans are not that way”. In their struggle for existence in this odd environment they must be gathering so much of the baggage of hate which most of us involuntarily must be having for them. The two of these rooms he so involuntarily gave us were to be vacated on the morning of 05 Sep 2006 the day of marriage the ones Jayant Mama (my uncle) n self were occupying.

For rest the Bride’s father (my Uncle) had already made the reservations in advance. We were to take these rooms by 1100 hrs on 04 Sep but for the obvious reasons none of us wanted to go n miss out on the happenings that till then were centered at Salunke Vihar. It was only around dinnertime we realized we need to get the rooms at Rest House and some of us will have to leave the happening place. A frantic call on tele amidst the favorite eve pgme of Faujis n others alike, of exchanging notes over a drink was made announcing that, we will be arriving late after dinner. The manager informs he at best can give us only two and not three rooms. Not much of hassle, we all managed that night best since we had two rooms that J mama n self were occupying I mentioned earlier. One could have picked up a row with the manager but his reasoning was understood. The guests of someone who too had come to attend a marriage overstayed. May be time and situation permitting; I too would have done that n most of us do with utter disregard to convenience of others. My personal opinion; we Indians r good at it. He promised that tomorrow i.e. on day of the marriage early morning he will give us the third room.

Early morning everyone got ready in time not to miss the B’fast at the venue of the marriage but, the rituals of marriage were scheduled to commence early morning. Having done an extra trip back home to fetch the items forgotten behind of, so meticulously prepared (not me, I was made to prepare it by Dear Mami so that we do not forget some thing Imp, mind u all it proved it’s effectiveness during my last visit to Pune in May). It would be unfair to expect the parents of Bride and Rahul n Rhea (Brother of the Bride n his wife) with Star attraction n lil heartthrob of every one “Anika” to ensure that nothing is left out. The item left behind was the packet of “Pedhas” (customary sweet) to be distributed soon after marriage was over.

Well it was the opportunity I was looking for, having done the job, quietly sneaked out to Rest House to get the Room so that one has a place to sleep at night before heading back to Mhow. The elderly Sikh couple who had overstayed was leaving. The manager asked 4 deposit which I questioned intuitively. The normal practice is u pay the bill while vacating but on insistence from the manager I paid up without much fuss. Asked him to get the Room cleaned up n keep keys at reception so I can collect in AN. The events going on at RSI were more imp than waiting there for a sweeper to do cleaning n room boy to change the sheets. Some time later self n Anuj another cousin of mine who already been staying there again sneaked out n collected keys. Never did it struck me to ask for the Receipt.

In the evening just before the Reception was back at Salunke Vihar to collect the Whisky that was to flow at the cocktails. The more imp was the instructions of Do’s n Don’ts n see that none gets drunk — in the bargain the only person who must have consumed max at the Bar must be me. I told mama that I have paid for the rooms so that he is not asked for it again. I was paid the full amount that very moment.

Next morning while leaving for Mhow, Mama n Mami had come to see of his friend n us. In a hurry to start early and getting the baggage down kept on asking 4 final bill. Anuj had already left early morning and the other two rooms too were being vacated a day prior than scheduled. This was going to result in refund of room rent of thee rooms for a day, from what had already been paid. Despite 3 – 4 reminders the response did not seem to be as quick, the morning lethargy of the staff was still at it’s best. I finally gave up n left with instructions “sahib baher aahet refund tyanna dya” (give the refund to my uncle who is out side) and left Pune in happy morning weather.

Only to discover on reaching home when gave All Correct Report to Mama of our safe arr home — he was made to pay again for the entire rent of three rooms that we had taken. He insisted, that whole thing has been paid to u in advance and it’s only a refund he was entitled.

Do you have any receipt? Was the question he was unable to answer.

My blood would have sent the mercury soaring and would not have restricted to letting out a few abuses alone but, would have given him a bloody nose too. For a simple reason the man belonged to outfit whom I belong today and still consider one of good n clean profession.

Luckily the other telephone at home too was working and I had the tele No of the Guest House handy. The man was on other end — “Saheb tumchya kade receipt aahe ka? Kemha ankhin kahi proof?” (Do you have a receipt or any other proof of the payment?) a li’l hard talk and questioning as to if that was the case why did u not tell me that there is no refund when I asked for it 4 times in the morning? — “sir mala account check karawa laagel” (Sir I will have to check the account). Lucky that in less than half n hour he called me as well as Mama up “Saheb Chuk jhali” n money was returned next day.

More important was that we were saved of embarrassment n misunderstanding. It was good that Mama did not hesitate in asking me. The amount was not a phenomenal but a lesson learnt — how small the amount be ALWAYS ASK FOR A RECEIPT after all we r Indians n as a society quite tempted to make a quick buck at someone else’s cost.

No comments: